Tuesday, November 24, 2009

some readers have asked for an explanation of the following word....

shmeh:

1. signifies uncertainty or uneasiness
ex:
person 1: "let's go into that haunted house"
person 2: "...shmeh"

2. it follows that...
ex:
"we could go play baseball but it's raining... so.... shmeh"

3. used to break an awkard silence

4. more or less, i guess so. (''shmyah'' could be used also for this one)
ex:
person 1: ''did you have a good day?''
person 2: ''um... shmeh"

5. lack of something to say

ex: I didn't know how to start an entry, so I wrote ''shmeh'' where the first paragraph should have been.

hope that explains things.

so anyways..

shmeh...

our trip to Canada went smoothly. We had an extra night in Santa Cruz because our flight was delayed. I used it to go out with Julio, Luis-Alberto and his friends to a Pirate/Techno themed bar until 10, which was when we had to be back at our hotel. After Chinese food.. Me, Devon, Alex and Romeo watched the newest Die Hard and Final Destination until we had to leave for the airport.

Because you're supposed to be 3 hours early for international flights. We decided not to sleep. We got to the airport at 3 in the morning and left Santa Cruz at 6 a.m.

In Lima, we spent our time exploring the town square and mall. We also loafed around the beech for a couple of hours. Me, Romeo and Mark swam in the Pacific Ocean the whole time, letting ourselves get sucked into the undertow to get washed up on the beach. lots of fun. From there, we flew to Toronto (I slept most of the way) and then to Montreal.

We stayed overnight in a camp in Iles Perrault and left the next morning at 2 p.m.

On the way to Perth, we treated ourselves to a coffe at Tim Hortons. Lots of people missed it. Having 9 Bolivians in assembly line service is hectic.

Our host families greated us at one of the local churches. There were a few snacks to go around, but we didn't stay long.

I'm staying in town with Liliane and her children Victoria and David. They're both in their mid-twentys.

I got a swimming membership at the local pool on my first day. I'm trying to get back into swimming shape by going 4 times a week. After 5 lane swims, I feel great.

For the next two months, I'm going to be working at the Salvation Army clothing store and Soup Kitchen. I'll also be chopping wood at a camp outside town.

I'm able to walk everywhere from my house, including group sessions, the pool, grocery store.. etc.

During our first couple of days, we had a couple of cultural presenations from a Cree woman, went to Ska show and decorated a giant Christmas tree. More to Come! There's going to be a polar dip fundraiser for the new year so that'll be fun.

It's been staying above zero for this entire week. I'm still walking around in jeans and a hoodie. I missed the cold.

that's it for now. still no snow. hope you guys are doing great. let me know what you're up to..

No comments:

Post a Comment