Thursday, October 1, 2009

yo

So I was in Santa Cruz for 2 days... yeah. What I thought was going to be a cultural night of traditional Bolivian song and danse turned out to be a the most massive trade show i´ve ever seen... with a thirty boiviano entry fee. This place was packed. It was basically a large park filled with product mascots, 50 foot advertisements, and various stations filled with furniture, cars, cell phones.. everything. Everyone was hitting shoulders because it was so packed. The funny thing was that each sale station had at least 2 supermodels in heels showcasing the goods. In more ways than one i suppose.
´´Do YOU come with the car?´´
The professionals were straight-backed and constantly smiling while others were sitting down looking at their cell-phones with a bored ´why-am-i-here?´´ expression on their faces. Most people were attracted to each sale because you could take a picture with the ladies up front. I settled for a photo with two guys dressed up as a ketchup and mustard bottle.
After a lot of walking around, I found out that the other people in my group were just there to ´´look around´´ so I suggested we leave as soon as possible.
After that we met up with a bunch of people from the Santa Cruz exchange which was really cool. We hung out with them through various orientation sessions and hadn´t seen them for a month. Apparently there´s lots of tension in between the supervisors and volunteers there but all the participants were getting along in their exchange fine otherwise. We went to a couple of bars and hung out for the rest of the night. More photos i have to upload somehow.. magically.
I would´ve liked to stay in Santa Cruz longer but we had exhausted our time limit. Whatever. I think some Santa Cruzians are coming down this Saturday to chill.

Not much new to say. We had a dry electric storm which was pretty spectacular. Also, there are two new german volunteers that have joined the others. Alex and Christoph. They both speak fluent English and we´re just getting to know them.
I might be switching work placements for a week with Claudio. He´s getting tired of shovelling poop at the farm and needs a break.
When the Bolivians can´t pronounce my name.. I tell them it´s like John Connor from Terminator and their faces light up with understanding and recognition.

My ipod is on its way. Thank you so much mom and dad. If I hear uno, dos, tres, quatro one more time I might have an an aneurysm. Yes, I know you want me. Yes, I know I want you go take a long walk off a short pier. Soon I´ll be able to drown in all out with Protest.. soon.
I did heard dust in the wind in spanish the other day which was pretty cool.

Work´s going good. Mario´s has got addition and subtraction down over the past 2 weeks and we´re moving on to multiplication. Today was another session of removing the dried kernels from corn. SO much corn. They´re going to grind it all up to make a kind of flower. I tried to suggest that they should have a massive popcorn fiesta but the kids looked at me in confusion and threw kernels at me.... cunning.

Anyways.. that´s all I have for now. I´m probably forgetting a few things. I´ve found a usb-picture-uploader-thingy so hopefully I´ll have some photos up soon.

i bid you toodles

Connor

No comments:

Post a Comment